Church Tesseris Martires
Agia Galini, Rethymno, Greece
The main “Four Holy Martyrs” church is located behind the busstation of Agia Galini. It’s been built in the 20th century next to an ancient temple that probably was dedicated to the goddess Athena.
The names of the four Martyrs were Angelis, George, Manuel and Nicholas. They originated from the nearby village of Melambes. During the “Greek Revolution” against the Ottomans in 1821 they were captured, tortured and finally executed at the Great Gate of Rethymnon on the 28th of October 1824 for refusing to convert to the Islam. Their holy relics are kept in the Monastery of Arkadi, Rethymnon, in Melambes, Athens and Agia Galini.
Church services are every weekend in the evening at 18:00 hrs and sunday morning at 08:00 hrs.